In the Middle Ages Lastra a Signa was very important for its strategic position and it is still interesting from an artistic and cultural point of view. The most important church is Pieve di San Martino in Gangalandi, situated in the adjoining town of San Martino in Gangalandi. The town's name derives from the sandstone quarries from which “lastre” or slabs of stone were extracted and from its proximity to the little town of Signa. Of great historical and artistic interest is the Villa di Bellosguardo, better known as Villa di Caruso. The sixteenth-century Villa di Bellosguardo ("beautiful view"), situated on the hills surrounding Lastra a Signa, owes its name to its spectacular position. In 1540 the property was purchased by the noble Pucci family. Today the Renaissance spirit of Villa Pucci survives only in the garden, whose statuary was created over many decades: the statues of animals by Romolo del Tadda, involved during those years in the making of the Boboli Gardens behind the Pitti Palace in Florence, were enhanced with the work of his heirs. In 1906 the villa was bought by the famous tenor, Enrico Caruso. One of his biographers tells us that the purchase was made after he had a walk with his lover, Ada Giachetti, and they were both struck by the wonderful view and the monumental and scenographic park. Today it is owned by the Comune di Lastra a Signa that bought it back only in 1995.